Roger federer said his recovery from two surgeries on his left knee earlier this year has taken longer than expected and he is unsure whether he will be ready for the australia open
Federer, who turns 40 in August next year, has not played a competitive match since losing to novak djokovic in this season’s semi-finals at Melbourne Park.
The winner of 20 Grand Slam singles titles, a record he shares with rafael nadal, said in October he was practising pain-free and expected to return to the circuit at the first Grand Slam of the year.
“I would have hoped that I would be 100 per cent in October. But I am still not today. It will be tight for the Australian Open,” local media quoted Federer as saying late on Sunday at an awards ceremony in Switzerland.
“The second knee operation was a huge damper, but in the last six months there has been steady progress.